The blend for the Benjamin Chapman 7-year is fairly unique with its 51% rye spirit and 49% wheat spirit. Usually, if they are high rye, we will see a blend of 51% rye, with the other 49% being a mixture of malted barley, corn, and/or wheat. While the rye spirit is aged 10 years in alligator char white American oak, the wheat spirit is aged 7 years in lighter charred barrels.
All the grain for the spirits is grown in Canada, and more specifically, the prairie provinces: Alberta, Saskatchewan, and my home province, Manitoba. The use of wheat in whisky is to substitute rye. Rye gives spice to the flavor profile, and wheat affects the mouthfeel of a whiskey.
Knowing this, we should expect the Benjamin Chapman 7-Year Whiskey to give us the best of both grains, so let’s find out…
All sizes are 750mL unless otherwise noted.
Vintages, ratings and product packaging (images) are subject to change at any time.
All pricing and availability are subject to change.
Artwork does not necessarily represent items for sale.